Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Catch up

I am the only one reading this blog I think, but it is still fun. Had some issues with logging in and life in general, so over a year absence is easy I guess. I have been very busy with knitting as it seems to be my way of recovering from med school. Those socks I posted in the last entry, that were not quite done, ended up going to a friend who then ceased to be my friend shortly thereafter (after 7 years). Painful, but I have been reminded often this year that there are people who stay in my life and certainly deserve the loving handmade knits that I love to give. :)

With that in mind, here are a bunch of pictures from the past year+.

These are the socks I knit for my little side business, Baby Hot Feet. I may be changing the style soon, but I sold a bunch at Christmas, and was pretty happy with that.



This is an amazing skull shawl pattern that I did for a friend of mine who loves skulls. I did them in bright colors to be reminiscent of sugar skulls. I love how this turned out and will probably be making another one someday. It is her first pattern in English, and I am not as good with crochet, so it is definitely doable. I loved making it.



These are skull socks made from the leftover yarn from the shawl, for the same person. They look amazing!!



This is a ripple blanket, also crochet, that my friend A sent a link to. I used a bunch of leftover sock yarn and got some solid colors to make a beautiful rainbow. The cat is my first kitty, Famile, who died in December. She actually peed on this blanket the day she died. I didn't mind though. My sweet girl. I love this picture of her.




This was a santa gift for a dear friend's son. He is obsessed with turtles and wanted a Hawksbill turtle plush toy that he saw. It was no longer being made and he said that what he liked most about it was that it was red. So his mom and I put our heads together, I altered the Sheldon Pattern, and Hawkie was born. :) His legs are actually knit like little flippers instead of the rounder legs of the Sheldon pattern

Then, my friend (of the sugar skull pattern) got the exciting news that she was going to be a grand aunt! They had discovered that the baby was going to have six toes per foot, and she thought that some wee six toed socks would make the mama laugh, so she asked me to make them. They are my own design and are not really functional, though the baby no longer has 12 toes now. :) The baby was also born on my birthday, which was really neat!


Another baby blanket from Steve Plummer and Pat Ashforth flew of the needles and cuddled around another wee one. I loved this pattern, though there was one mistake that I missed. Illusion knitting is really amazing, but can be easy to screw up if you aren't super careful. I highly recommend their site and patterns. They are incredible…I have three. :)


This bigger blanket was a square a month that my friend of the Hawkie fame and I did together. I didn't learn a lot of new techniques, though I did learn entrelac and backward knitting….so worth it, but I did learn some neat tricks and got a gorgeous blanket. I was the first to finish (not having much of a life allows for more knitting time) and am going to get some sort of prize. Someday. When I manage to get to the shop again. :) It is out of my neighborhood so I don't get there often. The class was really fun though and I am planning on taking the Great Aran Afghan one (2 years, 24 squares) in a couple of years. My parents received this for Christmas. It looks great in their home, though I did not pick out the colors for them initially. Guess my gut was on board with this one!


Finally some socks for me. Love them.


A super secret present for my best friend. Another ripple blanket and I kept it from her for four months. This was hard because she is who I go to to ask about color combinations and styling. It turned out more beautiful than I could have imagined and she was so happy with it. She is a crocheter and definitely understands the love and time that went into this present. 




I also joined the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club this year. I have wanted to do so for a long time, but never did. I convinced three friends to pitch in for a membership and I will be making them socks from some of the yarn this year. I am going to make all four of us a pair of these socks (59th Street Bridge pattern), though only one pair is from the sock club yarn (the one with the cat). I thought it would be neat for all of us to have a pair in different yarn and I love the pattern. I'll post the other two when I finish.




Now that I am caught up, I think, and it is super late, I should go home. Got laundry to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment