Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spinning

So, I spent this past Saturday at the house of my first date from last week, J. She and I had yummy food, knitted, and she taught me to spin! She is also letting me borrow one of her wheels, plus she brought roving too, so I can spin on my own. It is really fun and driving me completely crazy, but that is part of the learning process huh?

Here is my first skein (on top of the lace stole I am knitting - which is taking Forevah!!) It is Alpaca and is Navajo plied. So pretty huh?? No clue what I'll do with it, but I'll figure something out, or maybe I'll just keep it and hold it sometimes. :)


Here is a shot she got of me actually spinning. I generally dislike shots of myself, but this one is mostly about the spinning, so it is all good. I have to admit that I'm pretty good at spinning. Even when it is screwing up, which seems to be happening a bunch now that J isn't there to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I can get fairly even thickness and that thickness is generally thin, which means when it is plied it will not be quite so big. I tend to like sock weight or DK weight, so I really want to be consistently spinning very thin singles so they can even out to a lighter weight yarn. J spins like THREAD weight singles....they are so gorgeous. That is my goal.


What I've been working on the past couple of days. I still can't quite imagine actually knitting it up and having it look good. I sometimes forget that I've already spun and knit an entire project! I wonder how much yarn this will make if I Navajo ply it, which I plan on doing, mostly because I have only two bobbins and don't feel like balling it all up to double ply.


So, second dates for two of the three women I met last week. Go me. Not sure about the third. She seems cool, but is pretty busy. I'll probably text her today to say hi. I am really looking forward to my second date with A tomorrow actually. It is at one of my favorite places with a big outdoor patio. I hope it isn't packed! 

If I can just get the rest of my life to start following my home life (which is amazing right now) and my dating life (so far!) then I would be super excited. Mostly, I just need to get money coming in the door. 

And just to add some adorableness....I just can't get over how cute Sam is! She slays me.

No comments:

Post a Comment